WMUV believes in the holistic nature of health. We are to follow Christ Jesus with our heart, mind, and spirit. We believe our body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit, a gift from God that necessitates good stewardship in order to honor God. The healthier we are, the better able we are to participate in mission opportunities to carry the gospel message to our churches, communities, and the world.
WMUV partners with churches to promote health & wellness by encouraging interested health professionals and lay leaders to engage in Faith Community/Parish Nursing training or lay medical training. We partner with various organizations to provide resources and training for congregations and communities.
Opportunities to Engage
WMUV offers many opportunities and ideas for you to connect with its Health and Wellness initiatives:
- Provide nutritional information for area food pantries
- Volunteer as Summer Camp Nurse (one week) at CrossRoads
- Lead Senior Adult Ministry using AGING WITH SIGNIFICANCE curriculum
- Teach First Place 4 Health Class in your congregation
- Plan Health Fair inviting community health professionals to provide screenings for congregation and community members
- Provide foot care for diabetics
- Standing Rock Reservation – Medical teams needed to provide blood pressure and blood sugar screening.
- Hunger Initiatives – Host a Hunger Dialog to discusses issues relating to hunger as it relates to health issues.
- Northfield Foundation – Volunteer to work with girls dealing with eating disorders or unplanned pregnancies.
- Hope Builders/CWJC – Lead a class on healthy lifestyles including healty eating and weight managment.
- Aging With Significance – Lead a grief support group. Provide information on relevant topics such as: Alzheimer’s Disease, advance directives and exercise.
- International Parish Nurse Resource Center: www.parishnurses.org
- Health Ministries Association, Inc.: www.ihwassoc.org/resources
- Google: Health & Wellness, and community agencies (specific to your location)
- First Place: www.FirstPlace4Health.org
- Body & Soul Ministries: www.bodyandsoul.org (fitness classes)
- Caring for People God’s Way: www.lightuniversity.org
- Don Colbert Ministries: www.doncolbert.com
- Virginia Department of Health: www.vdh.state.va.us
- U.S. Government: us.gov
- Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov
- Mayo Clinic: www.mayoclinic.org
- Caregivers Library: www.caregiverslibrary.org
- Congregational Health Partnership: www.inova.org/chp (Read their July 2011 newsletter!)
- National Health Observances: http://healthfinder.gov/nho/nho.asp
- Thomas Jefferson Health District Toy Safety Guidelines